This week we’ve been trying to get OS deployment working in SCCM, here are some of the things learnt along the way…
General bits for installing
- Make sure that the “RemoteInstall” folder from any previous attempts has been deleted
- Don’t configure WDS at all from its console, do all the stuff from inside SCCM
RemoteInstall\SMSBoot folders empty
- Make sure you have deployed the images to both update points for your server (“servername” and “servername\SMSPXEIMAGES$”)
- check the windows\temp\ folder for Bootimages & PXEBootfiles these folders were left over from other installs & had the incorrect permissions so SCCM could not extract the required boot parts
- check the smspxe.log file found in SMS_CCM\logs folder
- you should have the following files:
- Check the image architecture you are deploying, you cant boot from an x64 PE disk and apply an x86 WIM. You CAN however boot the machine from an x86 PE disk and image over the x86 WIM.
Thanks to Ian for your help with these issues and getting our OS deployment to the stage its at.